You will need:
75 gr unsalted butter (melted)
1 1/4 Cup milk*
2.5 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
300 gr walnuts
150 gr sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For impregnation and lubrication:
100 gr unsalted butter (melted)
sugar syrup (250g sugar, 1/4 Cup water + 3 tbsp of honey)
* 1 Cup = 240 ml
This baklava I cooked in a round shape with 23 cm in diameter. Make a high baklava, filling enough, but remained slightly less than half of the test. Therefore we can take shape more, but to increase the amount of filling.
How to prepare:
The milk is slightly warm to warm (but not hot!). Pour into a small bowl, add the sugar and dissolve the yeast. Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
In the deep form sift the flour with the salt. Add the egg and oil, mix slightly and to introduce the milk with yeast. Knead the dough and knead it until smooth, approximately 5-6 minutes (it’s almost not stick to your hands).
To shift back into the form and put in a warm place to rise for 45 min – 1 hour. During this time it will double.
To prepare the filling.
Nuts are finely chopped. You can do this in a blender or food processor, but the main thing is not to overdo and not to turn them into flour. They should be small, but still distinguishable grains. To displace sugar and spices.
3. Ready and punch down the risen dough, roll in flour and divide into 9 pieces, one of them to do a little more than others.
Baking dish RUB with melted butter. Roll out the dough very thinly (1 mm) covered with flour surface and transfer to the form. The hanging edge carefully cut along the shape of the bottom, walls must be clean. The dough is lightly oiled. Roll out one portion of dough and spread on first.** Sprinkle 3-4 tbsp of the filling
**Two part test is only required on the bottom layer to the baklava after baking did not crumble and did not break at the bottom.
4. Repeat until the filling will not stay on 1 layer. (Eventually you might get more than 9 layers, because the dough still remains, so it is easier to navigate “by eye”). When the filling over, roll large portion of dough (from the original nine parts) slightly thicker than the previous one, 2-3 mm. move it to the baklava, and close, tamped the sides and cutting off the excess from the edges (if there are). Grease the top lightly with beaten egg and cut in the shape of traditional diamond. It should be cut just before reaching the bottom so that the bottom layer is not damaged (otherwise, in the baking process, it may start to burn oil). Each rhombus in the centre put half of a walnut, lightly pressing it into the dough.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 C or 355 F
Put the baklava be baked 10 minutes. Then to get her, again “walk” with a knife along the cuts, and evenly pour them into the oil. It is quite convenient to do a cooking brush, just spraying the cuts. Put back in oven and bake until cooked (until the baklava won’t turn a deep Golden color)
6. For sugar syrup: sugar, water and honey mix in a small saucepan and cook, stirring, over low heat for 10 minutes.
7. Ready to get baklava from the oven, check again all the knife cuts and water them with sugar syrup. Allow to cool and leave for impregnation for the night. The next day slice and serve.